Air lets our living planet breathe, it is the mixture of gases that fills the atmosphere, giving life to the plants and animals that makes the Earth such a vibrant place. Broadly speaking, air is almost entirely made up of two gases (78 percent nitrogen and 21 percent oxygen), with a few other gases (such as carbon dioxide and argon).
Air pollution is a gas (or a liquid or solid dispersed through ordinary air) released in a large enough quantity to harm the health of people and animals, kill plants or obstruct their growth and finally damage or disrupt other aspects of the environment.
The Obudu Conservation Centre team is very aware of the growing concerns in our environment, these concerns are the air pollutions which are caused by natural or man-made sources.
Natural air pollution
It is possible for air pollution to be produced naturally. This natural air pollution occurs during forest fires and poisonous gases being released from the radioactive decay of rocks inside the Earth. There are various other sources such as volcanic eruptions and pollen dispersion.
Due to the increased amount of stimuli we are receiving today especially surrounding climate change, it is normal for one to think that pollution is strictly man-made.
- Fact 1: An average Nigerian breathes 2 gallons of air per minute which means around 3400 gallons of air each day.
- Fact 2: Inhaling air pollution takes away at least 1-2 years of a typical human life.
- Fact 3: It has effects as small as burning eyes and itchy throat to as large as breathing problems and death.
- Fact 4: Pollutants that are released into the air, as opposed to land and water pollutants, are the most harmful.
- Fact 5: Rising levels of air pollution in Beijing has brought a new disease – Beijing cough.
- Fact 6: Air pollution is not a recent occurrence. In 1952, the Great Smog of London killed 8000 people.
- Fact 7: Deaths caused by air pollution cost the European Union €161 billion.
- Fact 8: Electric vehicles produce less air pollutants. They stir up dirt but without producing gases.
- Fact 9: Producing heavy crude oil increases chances of air pollution by 40% than producing light crude oil.
- Fact 10: According to the Lancet journal, air pollution caused by waiting in traffic increases the chances of death caused due to heart attack.
- Fact 11: Toxic air pollution poses a greater threat to children, due to their smaller physical size and lung capacity.
- Fact 12: Air pollution and resulting deaths are increasing fastest in Asia.
- Fact 13: Air pollution that causes smog affects dolphins and makes them suffer from black lung diseases.
- Fact 14: 70% of the air pollution caused in Chinese cities is due to tailpipes.
- Fact 15: 5,000 premature deaths in Southern California are caused due to pollution from diesel trucks.
- Fact 16: Travels at Grand Canyon are unable to see the other side due to air pollution, is 1000 miles away.
- Fact 17: The most hazardous pollutants are released from the air and less from the water and land together.
- Fact 18: The best ways to reduce air pollution are by walking and riding bicycle.
- Fact 19: A single bus caries passengers which are likely to drive 40 cars.
- Fact 20: 28% of the Americans believe they are most affected by air pollution caused by vehicles.
- Fact 21: Air pollution in China can travel up to Central Valley of California.
- Fact 22: Outdoor air pollution outdoor, ranks in the top ten killers on earth.
- Fact 23: 65% of the deaths in Asia and 25% deaths in India are due to air pollution.
- Fact 24: 2 million cars in Manila, Philippines cause 80% of air pollution.
- Fact 25: Air pollution in India is estimated to cause 527, 700 deaths every year.
- Fact 26: The number of people who die in America every year due to air pollution is above 50,000.
- Fact 27: 80% of lung diseases are caused due to pollution from other cars, buses, trucks and other vehicles.
- Fact 28: It is estimated that 750,000 people die in china prematurely due to air pollution.
- Fact 29: Research by MIT proves that around 13,000 British citizens die due to air pollution from vehicles an power plants.
- Fact 30: Air pollution in California kills 25,000 people per year and costs $200 million worth of medical expenses.
- Fact 31: 300,000 in China die every year due heart disease and lung cancer cause by air pollution.
- Fact 32: People in many cities wear masks continually to save themselves from air pollution.
- Fact 33: Heavy crude oil increases air pollution 40% more than light crude oil.
- Fact 34: Air pollution caused in traffic increase the chances of heart attack.
- Fact 35: By 2050, 6 million people will die per year due to air pollution.
- Fact 36: During heavy traffic jam, pollutants outside can seep into your car, making the air inside you car 10 times more polluted than typical city air.
- Fact 37: According to the California Department of Education, Asthma is a leading cause of school absenteeism.
- Fact 38: Indoor air pollution is 2-5 times worse than the air outdoors.
- Fact 39: People who live near high traffic roads face greater risk of cancer, heart disease, asthma and bronchitis as these places contain more concentrated levels of air pollution.
- Fact 40: Switching to more efficient and cleaner fuels from solid fuels(wood,) can help you to reduce indoor air pollution.